The theme for this month’s practice series is INTUITION.
Author Clarissa Pinkola Estés calls intuition “the direct messenger of the soul.” But what if you’re having trouble getting the message?
Our intuition can get masked or muffled in many ways: doubt, fear, years of ignoring what we want or need—to the point where we may not even know anymore. But intuition is also like a muscle we can strengthen with regular workouts, so that it gets easier to access and use.
As someone who spends a lot of time in my head, I find the key to intuition comes in connecting to my body. As I expand out from my thinking mind, something softens and makes space for a different kind of knowing.
This week’s practice invites you to flex your intuition, starting with small choices where it feels safe to make the “wrong” decision (because there isn’t really one). This practice is meant to be done on the fly: when you’re at a restaurant, taking a walk, or whenever a small everyday decision-making opportunity arises.
The point isn’t to always or only make decisions from intuition, but to cultivate it as a powerful tool to pair with rational thinking and feeling. As we practice tuning into and trusting that inner knowing, it then becomes easier to access it for all of life’s decisions—big or small.
- As you encounter a minor decision in your day—e.g., what to order off a menu, where to go on a walk—pause and take a deep, mindful breath.
- As you do so, feel your body. Intuition thrives from that body connection. Drop awareness to your heart, then down to your gut, maybe even all the way down to your feet.
- Ask “What’s the right choice for me in this moment?” and tune into intuitive signals in your body. Don’t overthink it.
- Observe the answer and act on that intuition.
- If you’re having a hard time intuiting, make a choice anyway and see if you get information after the fact, as that can still help you see how intuition shows up. (When I’m stuck, I’ll sometimes flip a coin, not so fate can decide but because my reaction tends to tell me how I truly feel.)
- Notice how your knowing showed up for you—was it a sensation in the gut? A feeling of resonance or brightness? An inner voice? There’s no right or wrong here; you’re simply cultivating that connection.
- Thank your intuition for its guidance and go on with your day.
Photo by Maarten van den Heuvel via Unsplash