We are made of nature—she exists within us, in our bones, muscles, heart, and lungs. She is pulsing through our movement, our breath, and our heartbeat. This week we are honoring the elements creatively by moving as them, in a dance of gratitude.
Last week we chose an element we feel called to connect with more deeply for the rest of the month. If you didn’t already, you may choose one now: earth, air, fire, or water.
Below is one song for each element, which will evoke the qualities of that element.
Please do this practice when you have 10 minutes where you can be alone (or with someone who wants to do this with you!). The intention is to offer your prayers and gratitude to Mother Earth by dancing as her, and to her. Your movement is the prayer.
- Take a moment to breathe deeply down into your body and set an intention for this short practice. For example: “may this be an offering for water.”
- Press play on your chosen song.
- Begin to allow your body to move as that element. Feel that aspect of nature inside you and as a part of you as you move. Any sounds, emotions, or sensations are welcome.
- Give your body’s movement to your chosen element as a gift, an offering of love. There is no right or wrong; however you move is a gift.
- When the song ends, you may wish to give a gesture of gratitude, like a bow, and move back into your day.
Photo by David Clow on Flickr (CC); songs in order listed: "Black Mesa" by Gabrielle Roth and the Mirrors, "Dinner at the Sugarbush" by Drum Sex, "River Goddess" by Maneesh De Moor, "River Flows" in You by Yiruma